- Also known as African Spurred Tortoise or Grooved Tortoise
- African Spurred Tortoise or Grooved Tortoise is one of the most famous and popular pet tortoises in the world.
- It is active, easy-going, hardy and easy to be kept healthily if enough space if provided.
- This tortoise is the world’s 3rd largest tortoise.
- CITES listing: Class II (01/07/1975)
- The tortoises are found in Central Africa, from Southern Sahara, Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Nigeria, Sudan, Chad to Ethiopia, Egypt
- Mating age is from 12 – 15 years
- Grow up to 36 inches (90cm) in length
- Weighs up to 150 lbs (68kgs)
- Largest in record is 42 inches (1.05meters) and 232 lbs (105kgs), in Giza Zoological Gardens, Eygpt, 1925
- Their lifespan is about 30 – 50 years
- Oldest in record is 54 years (in Giza Zoological Gardens, Egypt, 1986)
- Herbivorous, Grass, Leafy Greens (e.g. mustards, collards, dandelions, turnips, hibiscus, sprouts, kales)
- Occasionally Pears, Carrots, Apples (with skin), Peaches, Beans (with skin), Peas (with skin), Almonds etc.
- Never feed on very Juicy Fruits like Tomatos, Bananas, Cabbages, Cucumbers, Bok Choy, Broccoli, etc
Habitat and Vivarium Housing:
- Terrestrial; Arid grasslands
- Sulcata tortoise terrarrium or tank ambient temperature should be at 72°F -85°F
- Basking area at 85°F -89°F
- UVA and UVB lighting is essential for shell development