- Pyxis arachnoides arachnoides
- Pattern of shell looks like spider web.
- These tortoises are most active in the morning, feeding in the morning is good.
- In the late afternoon and evening, they seems not to be so active and trying to seek for shaded place to hide and rest.
- Provide a place for them to hide, they need certain level of security.
- Naturally, they will dig for a place to hide and shade.
- Do not need large space.
- Need constant access to water, regular soaking required.
- In captivity, they are quite sensitive, try to take extra care for these tortoises. Suggest for experienced tortoises keeper.
- Naturally found in Madagascar
- Normally single egg from a clutch
- Adult size from 6 inches to 8 inches
- Herbivorous. This tortoise only takes vegetables and fruits.
- Almost any fruits and vegetables will feed them.
- Vegetables: Cucumbers, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms.
- Fruits: Green or yellow squash, apple, pear, or melons
- Flower and leaves.
- Mixture of the above is recommended to provide more balanced nutritious food.
- They are quite picky about the food, try several mixture to get their favorite.
Habitat and Vivarium Housing:
- Dessert-like habitat – dry woodlands, sand dunes, or brushlands.
- The natural habitat temperature for this tortoise is ranging from 4°C to 42°C.
- Thus try to keep them within 14°C to 33°C.
- The most optimum temperature is around 28°C.
- In term of humidity, they enjoy 75% to 78%.